These are artiste who put in a lot of work and get little credit, they have been around in the industry for a while but hardly get the kind of Plaudits they deserve.
They are artistes who are not topping charts or making big figures on Online music sites but make quality songs anytime they put out a record. I present to you the 5 Most Underrated Artistes in Nigeria.
1. Sean Tizzle – Sean Tizzle is one name that has been around for a while but hasn’t really reached the Echelon of his career. He got a major breakthrough with the track ‘Sho lee’ and had some very good tunes afterwards and won the Next Rated in 2013. In 2016, he featured American Singer Tory Lanez on ‘hit n run’.
He has been consistent ever since dropping good singles. Last year he dropped ‘Lotto’ which was a standard tune. This year alone he has dropped two banging joints including ‘Abena’ but unfortunately he is not rated highly anymore.
2. Solidstar – When we talk of good music, a blend of Highlife, RnB and Afrobeats in one. Solidstar is one artiste who doesn’t release a bad song. His song writing is excellent, his vocals are equally corresponding. You hardly hear any of his tracks without a message. He broke into the scene in 2011 with ‘One in a million’ featuring 2BaBa. He doesn’t just make songs, he makes classics.
Nevertheless, you don’t see him being given enough credit for his creativity and hit making abilities. He has 4 standard studio Albums to his name. He dropped a banging tune ‘Yarinya’ in late 2019.
3. Barry Jhay : He is Little known but he has been in the game for a while, a ghostwriter to some of the Big names. He is still underground and hasn’t gotten that kinda breakthrough he should. He has good songwriting and vocal abilities, and sounds similar to Teni. He is the son of the legendary musician Fuji king Ayinde Barrister. Rumours has it that he wrote Davido’s song ‘2020’.
He is a household name In Ibadan and some places in Lagos, maybe because of his use of his native Yoruba dialect but regardless, he has so many good songs. His first Nationwide hit ‘Aiye’ only cemented his presence as one name that should be regarded musically. He announced his 9 track EP just few hours ago.
4. Nonso Amadi – This is one hell of a talent. He does RnB/Soul in such a sensual style that can be likened to some big names like Usher and Justin Bieber. Virtually every song or feature he is involved in is beautiful.
The Singer/ producer has an addictive blend of afro-fusion with a melody and vibe plus good songwriting abilities, but he isn’t getting enough credit for it. His break out single was ‘ Tonight’ in 2015. He dropped a recent track ‘comfortable’ ft Kwesi Arthur off his 6-track EP ‘Free’. He is largely underrated as an artiste.
5. BlackMagic – This is arguably Nigeria’s most underrated artiste. He possesses a smooth blend of alternative music, rap and afro-fusion. He is one of the artiste who Pioneered the AfroBeat style of Fela into a more contemporary alternative and unique pattern.
He made a breakthrough hit single with Pass you by ft. Oritse Femi and ‘Repete’ in 2013. He did a remix of his track ‘Wonder’ in 2017 featuring U.S rapper Fetty Wapp: I mean that song was such a splendid sound and was supposed to grab major headlines but Unfortunately it didn’t.
He has Three(3) studio albums to his name and most recently dropped Starving artiste: (Version 3). The way he switches RnB to rap effortlessly with his baritone flavoured vocals is something special. He has never been given enough credit for his versatility but I think he deserves better.
Do you agree with this List.CLICK HERE TO COMMENT