The music year in review has been arguably the best in a calendar year as talents sprang from almost all directions with amazing talents.We are going to analyse the artistes under review;
1. Rema: This name just accidentally pops in your head whenever you think about the headies. Rema came into the scene when got signed by D’prince’s Jonzing world outfit an affiliate of Mavins music.The kid immediately gave us a hit ‘Dumebi‘ which rocked nationwide and other hits in prolific successions corny, iron man, etc..
He’s got swag, charisma, young, talent trapper turned singer, even though many many will argue his vocals are kinda weird, still is compared to Wizkid with vocal similarities, he gave us 3 EP’s in the space of just 6 months! I mean how prolific can that be? He has been given the carte blanche to fire on all cylinders by his label.
Rema is a very marketable brand music wise, He is very young, has charisma that makes him stand out and he is affiliated to one of the best music brands in Africa “Mavins’. He dropped an EP just 2 months after and every song became an instant hit.
He has gotten enough international recognition at just 19 years, within a short stint(6 months) of his career, we all saw how his song ‘ iron man’ got on Barrack Obama’s summer playlist and becoming the first Nigerian to have 5 songs on top 10 on apple music naija, and got a giant billboard of him at Times square,L.A New York City.
You will agree this kid has the brightest future. He has 3 EP’s to his name ‘Rema‘, ‘Freestyling‘ and most recently ‘Bad Commando‘. With this in mind, I believe he deserve to go home tonight with the award
How others stand in no particular order.
2. Joeboy: The kid burst into the scene in early 2019 with a smash hit ‘Baby‘ which turned out to be almost everybody’s favorite with an amazing vocal and a mad beat. He grew steadily the song ‘baby’ dropped earlier in the year but continued to gain more airwaves later and grew into the minds of music lovers as one of their favorite songs of 2019.
He however came with another song ‘Beginning‘ which is equally gaining momentum at the moment.
3.FireBoy Dml: Signed to Olamide’s outfit YBNL, Many will agree since Adekunle Gold left the label him (Fireboy) has been the perfect replacement. He won the hearts of music lovers including myself with ‘Jealous‘ arguably song of the year because of the lyrics and message the song sent which many persons can relate .The song topped the Top Ten naija charts on MTV base for many weeks and is still receiving massive airplays.
He has very smooth vocals and unique musical style which makes him stand out.He has been prolific giving us hits back to back like firedown, What if I say etc.. He looks likely to carry the day.
4. Victor AD: This is one of the biggest names on the list. He didn’t just give hits, he gave content and always has a message in just every song he puts out.He burst into the scene with ‘Wetin we gain‘ which almost turned into a national anthem as even the old and young can relate to the message almost seamlessly. He has other hits such as tire you ft davido,emoji etc..
He has a unique style of his own and good vocal strength to match, this is one singer who looks likely to become legendary if he continues to be consistent.
5. Lyta: Formerly affiliated to olamide’s outfit YBNL became a product of contract brouhaha which prompted his time at the label to be shortlived prompting outbursts on social on why such an action was taken against such a young promising singer.
That didn’t deter the young singer as he gave a comeback hit song ‘Monalisa’ that stole the hearts of people from across the country. He further rejunated his relevance when he had a remix with Davido.The singer has a soft sonorant vocal ability which is exceptional.
6. Zlatan: Zlatan A.K.A ‘Capaichumerimerichpako'(please don’t bite ur tong in trying to pronounce that oo)is one of the biggest at the moment.He has more features than any nigerian artiste in the calendar year.Has featured in more hits than any other artiste.
He got the ‘zanku’ leg walk song with an addictive dance step that is popular all over the country till now, featured in davido’s bum bum, AbleGod, burnaboy’s ‘killin dem’ and so many numerous to mention. He has energy, good vibes, but doesn’t provide much content wise!
One name was conspicuously missing from the list which is Too Classic. But who do you think deserves this award? And who else do you think deserves to be on the list?CLICK HERE TO COMMENT