Rivers State Governor Ezenwo Nyesom Wike has signed an executive order outlining the Dos and Don’ts for burial ceremonies in Rivers State in response to Covid-19.
10 Points Executive Order Prescribing Guidelines for the Conduct of Public Burials in Rivers State and was issued on the 5th of June 2020
See abstract from the order below
EXECUTIVE ORDER PRESCRIBING GUIDELINES FOR THE CONDUCT
OF PUBLIC BURIALS IN RIVERS STATE
1. This Order shall take effect on Thursday 5″. day of June 2020 and shall remain in force till further notice.
2. In this Order:
(a) “Public Burial” means any Traditional, Christian or religious burial or any burial to
which members of the general public may attend or participate or is conducted within
(b) “Commissioner for Health” means Commissioner in charge of the Rivers State Ministry
ofHealth or who superintends over matters of public health howsoever designated.
3. Any person who intends to hold a public burial in Rivers State or take any corpse from Rivers
State to a place outside Rivers State for burial during the COVID-19 pandemic period shall
apply to the Governor for approval through the Honourable Commissioner for Health
4. An application for approval relating to the burial of any person who died from 1st February
2020 shall be accompanied with:
(a) a death certificate showing that the cause of death of the deceased and in particular,
whether or not the death was related to COVID-19.
(b) a written undertaking signed by the applicant that:
(I) the applicant shall pay a penalty of NI 0,000,000 (Ten Million Naira) to the
Government of Rivers State for any breach of the conditions, guidelines or
protocols specified in the approval and set out herein; and
(ii) the applicant has read this Order and Quarantine (Coronavirus [COVID-191 and
Other Infectious Diseases) Regulations (No.3) of 2020 prescribing the penalty
hob-ooh of the conditions, guidelines or protocols specified in the approval
and set out herein.
5. “Die Governor may approve the application upon the recommendation of the Honourable
Commissioner for Health if the death certificate accompanying the Application shows that the cause of death was not related to COVID -19.
6. Where the death certificate shows that the cause of death was related to COV1D-19, and the deceased is to be buried in Rivers State, the Honourable Commissioner for Health shall direct the applicant to hold the burial immediately under the supervision of officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health.
7. Where the deceased is to be buried in Rivers State, the following guidelines shall be complied with:
(a) the burial shall be held between 9 a.m. and 12 noon (not more than time  hours);
(b) there shall be not more than fifty (50) persons including family members at the burial
(c) every person attending the burial ceremony shall maintain social distancing of not less
than 2 metres and shall wear a face mask.
(d) running water shall be provided with soap in not less than three (3) points at venue of the burial ceremony;
(e) all surfaces and enclosures shall be decontaminated after the burial;
(f) there shall be no walce keep or Service of Songs held for the deceased;
(g) the burial shall be conducted in the presence of State Government Representatives who
shall observe and ensure compliance with this Order; and a cameraman to video the
8. Where the deceased is to be taken from Rivers State to a place outside Rivers State for burial, the Applicant shall so state in his application to the Honourable Commissioner for Health who shall certify same to the Governor for approval.
9. The Governor may approve the application under paragraph 8.
10. Where the deceased under paragraph 8 died of COVID – 19 related causes, the corpse shall be transported out of Rivers State under the supervision of Health Officials and the applicant shall comply with such other conditions necessary for the prevention of the spread of the COVID –
19 disease, as the Commissioner for Health may prescribe.
Given under my hand at Port Harcourt this 5″ day of June 2020.
ENYESOM EZENWO WIKE, CON,GSSRS
Governor of Rivers State of Nigeria
Original order printed by the Governor;
These laws have come into effect immediately in Rivers State Nigeria – Let us know what you think below;CLICK HERE TO COMMENT