With expensive features and classic melodies from Africa and America, Davido launches his third studio album, “A Better Time”.
David Adeleke aka Davido drops another reputable body of work barely one year after dishing out his critically acclaimed sophomore album. The Nigerian afrobeat singer who bagged a billion streams on his last project is on the verge of becoming Nigeria’s biggest export with his new album of 17 songs.
The new project by David features Nicki Minaj, Lil Baby, Nas, HitBoy, Young Thug and Chris Brown from the United States of America. It also accommodates a few Nigerian singers like Bella Shmurda, Tiwa Savage, Ckay, and Mayorkun with Mugeez (Ghana), Sho Madjozi (South Africa), and Sauti Sol (Kenya) representing other countries from the black-dominated continent.
Compared to his debut album “Omo Baba Olowo” released in 2012 and 2019’s dramatic “A Good Time”, A Better Time album by Davido is a solid gospel of African sound with new melodies of Afro-fusion—a mix of afrobeat, afro-house, dancehall, and more —with hope to dominate the international market.
While much of “A Better Time” unveiling the confidence the young Nigerian singer has in his craft and genre, some of the songs in the album are far from becoming hits. The Nigerian popstar intelligently compiled seventeen tracks with a high tendency of ending the year as hit songs in his third LP album. Let’s take a look at the ‘hits and hits’ from the office of the DMW boss.
- The first track which doubles as the first single on this project “FEM” is a street slang that means ‘Shut Up’. Davido links up with talented music producer, Napji to give us what appears to be the first hit song on this project.
- Jowo” is another ‘pon pon’ sound from Davido. It sounds so much like the instrumental in his hit song “Fall” off his sophomore album.
- One good thing about this album is that most of the songs are just too groovy. The production in “Something Fishy” is magnificent. Davido’s delivery is magical. The melodies from the production to the vocals are on point.
- The Nicki Minaj’s ‘Naija to World’ intro on this joint is fire! In all honesty, after listening to this track over and over again, I believe “Holy Ground” will grow to be the biggest hit song off this album.
- Davido gave us a melodic South African afro-house tune in “Heaven”.
- Though appears to be one of the weak songs on this project, “Very Special” is an awesome tune.
- Mayorkun confirms that his record label boss, Davido is “The Best” in this new Fresh VDM produced beat. Just as expected, it’s all cruise on this masterpiece from the Mayorkun and Davido. The lyric of this jam is dope.
- After their magic in “Blow My Mind”, Davido invites Chris Brown a Young Thug assisted “Shopping Spree” track off his recently released album.
- Davido teams up with FEM producer, Napji in “Sunlight”. You already know it’s a powerful hit song.
- Nigerian music goddess, Tiwa Savage and Davido hop on “Tanana” produced by Kiddominant.
- “Mebe” features half of Ghanaian music duo, R2Bees. The Mugeez assisted song is groovy and soul-soothing.
- Blaise Beatz gives Davido and Ckay another South African flavoured afro-house tune tagged “La La”.
- “So Crazy” featuring American rapper, Lil Baby is another monster jam on this album. Do listen and thank me later.
- For a song with Nas, HitBoy,and Davido, “Birthday Cake” is a poor song. I felt these three were pressured to work on this joint together. I couldn’t connect to the chemistry on this jam.
- “I Got A Friend” by Davido featuring Mayorkun and South African singer, Sho Madjozi is a groovy tune produced by Fresh VDM.
- Fast-rising Nigerian singer, Bella Shmurda joins Davido and Speroach in “Fade”. This is one of those songs that could silently rack up numbers even when I think it was weakly performed.
- In a singular word, I feel “On My Way” by Lord Sky, Sauti Sol and Davido is a fair song.
Lyrics – 5/5
Production – 4/5
Performance – 4/5
AVERAGE RATING – 4/5
CLICK HERE TO COMMENT